Share if you think sharing is caring
Is the keto diet safe and What to eat on keto diet
Is the keto diet safe: – Many times, in the influence of people around us, we take the wrong steps.
Just like an individual influenced by so-called keto diet ambassadors, take a wrong step towards wrong practice.
We accept that the keto diet is an awesome way to lose extra weight, but without proper guidelines and rules, the keto diet can be fatal for you!.
Yes, you read right this diet without proper rules and guidelines can be fatal for you.
In a previous post about the Ketogenic diet, we were discussing all the benefits and side effects of a keto diet.
But from my point of view keto diet is a very vast topic.
And you have to understand all factors and rules for the Ketogenic diet before practice such thing.
(Source: – Pinterest)
Let’s first understand what keto diet is.
What is a keto diet: –
No sugar no carbs diet is one of the famous diets. As the name says itself in this diet you have to eat only fats and protein. The drastically reduction of carbs and high intake of fats put your body into a metabolic state called ketosis.
Not only keto diet help you in losing fat but also it may benefit you by reducing the risk of diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer’s and cancer-like diseases.
Now let’s focus on some positive side of the Ketogenic diet.
Pros of Ketogenic diet: –
- Reduce heart disease: – No sugar no carbs diet lowers your bad cholesterol level or LDL cholesterol and improves HDL cholesterol levels.
Also, it decreases the risk of blood sugar and blood pressure problems.
- Help in brain injury: – In a study, it’s found that intake of low carbohydrates food helps in brain injury recovering like concussions and other brain injuries.
However, this study is fully based on animals, not on humans.
- Get rid of acne: – Due to intake of very low carbohydrates foods include sugar and processed foods. Cause lowering insulin level and help you to get rid of acne.
- Help you to lose weight: – It’s just an obvious thing.
keto diet helps you to lose fat rapidly with the least side effect.
In a study, it is seen that no sugar no carb diet help you to lose fat over 2.5 times more effectively than any other calories restricted diet.
With other benefits like lowering bad cholesterol levels.
Another reason why low carbs foods diet is more superior to another diet.
It is because it offers you to take the maximum amount of healthy fats and protein.
- Protect you from Parkinson’s diseases: – Many studies already proved that the keto diet lowers the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Promote better mood: – Since on Ketogenic diet insulin levels tend to low. This is the reason why many people on the keto diet report good behavior and mood.
- Help in lowering blood pressure: – Studies already proved that eating low carb recipes regularly helps in lowering blood pressure problems. Also, it’s protecting you from other heart diseases.
- Reduce the risk of diabetes: – Ketogenic diet helps you to lose extra fat in your body. Which is directly impacting your blood sugar (by lowering them). And also it alters the metabolism rate.
Another study clearly states that the Ketogenic diet improved insulin sensitivity by 60-75%. Also, it is seen that a diabetic patient doesn’t need any medicine after taking a low carb diet as compared to other patients who are taking fully carbs meals diet.
- Reduce the growth of cancer: – People who question is the keto diet safe should see this. Carb less diet or the keto diet reduces the growth of cancerous cells. Even in many cancers hospitals, this diet is widely used to stop the growth of cancerous cells and tumors.
- Reduce Alzheimer’s disease: – In a study, it is seen that the keto diet slows down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease. And also it’s may reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: – Due to reducing insulin spikes level, women with polycystic ovary syndrome report symptoms reversing by increasing androgen level and fertility.
- Improving energy level: – Since in keto diet, the crashes and spikes of insulin level reduce this caused more alert and mentally energized.
(Source: – Pinterest)
Now let’s focus on some Ketogenic diet side effects.
Keto diet side effects: –
Before starting this diet majority of people question that is the keto diet safe or not. Here are some keto diet side effects you should know.
- ´ Eating unhealthy fats: – Since the keto diet allows the intake of fats. Many people consume excess unhealthy fat and an excessive amount of unhealthy oils. This caused many health-related problems like blood cholesterol level problems and blood pressure problems.
- Increased in fatigue: – In initially days the shifting of the metabolic state as energy source caused some weakness and fatigue. Many people also reported that they lose drastically amount of strength in a keto diet. However, these symptoms only last for 3-7 days only.
- Challenge mentally power: – Many people fells drastically increasing cravings of carbohydrates foods in a keto diet. Controlling these crazy cravings of carbohydrates foods like candies, sugar, drinks. Controlling this crazy craving is not an easy task. It requires strong mental power.
This is the state where the majority of people lose their hope. And start the intake of carbohydrates food once again.
- Not for regular days: – The main problem in the keto diet. You have to choose one day in 2 weeks. Where you allow yourself to eat carbohydrates foods. To surprise your body and fulfill the glycogen level once again.
- Dehydrations problems: – Your body will lose water mass just because you are consuming no or low carb recipes.
Approximately 1 gram of carbs holds 2-3 grams of water. To prevent yourself from dehydration, you have to drink more water.
- Impacts social gathering: – It’s just an obvious thing. The ketogenic diet doesn’t allow you to consume junk foods and fully carbohydrate foods. This makes your planning a bit harder.
- Cholesterol problems: – The other evil side of a keto diet is for some people keto diet causes cholesterol rising problems. It clearly states that a keto diet is not for everyone.
- Ketoacidosis: – Ketones molecules are acidic.
Keto diet causes the formation of these molecules. And if these molecules are built in a large amount it will surely harm your body.
People with diabetes are already are in danger of this condition. When they don’t get enough insulin, resulting in infrequent urination, nausea, and vomiting.
So a diabetic patient should avoid this diet or start a keto diet only after doctor recommendations.
It’s always suggested that people who are in keto should check their ketones molecules level at regular intervals.
- Micronutrients deficiency: – To achieve a healthy life, micronutrient is important for an individual.
In the keto diet,carb-containing food is not allowed. This causes a deficiency of micronutrients like vitamins and minerals.
I will suggest that people who are in a keto diet should consume micronutrients from external sources like vitamin supplements.
Buy vitamins supplement here(10% off)- Only for the USA visitors
Buy vitamins supplement here(5% off)– Only for the Indian visitors
- Lack of fibers: – Fibers are the most important part of our food. Without fibers, no bowling movements in your gut will possible.
Since fibers are a form of complex carbs. One should eat a prescribed amount of fibers in their low carb recipes to make their gut healthy.
- Is the keto diet safe for the diabetic patient: –
Diabetes is a condition in which an individual body is not making or making less insulin than their needs.
Insulin is the hormone responsible for carrying energy units called glucose.
In the absence or completely lacking of this hormone. Glucose can’t reach the cells. This results in the accumulation of blood sugar in bloodstreams and increases overall blood sugar levels.
In diabetic condition taking fewer carbohydrates foods improved blood sugar, promote weight loss, and minimize insulin requirements.
However, there are some dangers too in no sugar no-carb diet for the diabetic patient some are: –
- Hypoglycemia: – Taking no sugar no carb diet increases the chance of hypoglycemia or low blood sugar level. That’s why it is important to alter or modify your high dosage of insulin medicines.
- Increases in the ketoacidosis: – Ketones molecules are acidic. If these molecules are built in large amount it causes your blood PH little acidic.
This will harm your body automatically.
People with diabetes are already are in danger of this condition. When they don’t get enough insulin result in infrequent urination, nausea, and vomiting.
So a diabetic patient should avoid this diet or start a keto diet after doctor recommendations only.
I will always suggest people who are in keto that they should check their ketones molecules level at regular intervals.
- Is the keto diet safe for teenagers: – yes, the Ketogenic diet is safer for teenagers also. Additionally, in a study, it is found that 60% of obese adolescents experienced a significant weight loss.
In another study, it is found that no teenager experienced any side effects from the Ketogenic diet and also it is found that a keto diet equally benefits teenagers as normal adult human beings.
- Is the keto diet safe for children: – In the mid-1920s researcher invented the keto diet for epilepsy children itself.
In many studies, it’s seen that the keto diet is so effective in treating epilepsy (which can’t be treated with medicine).
For children, the high protein keto diet is the best option with healthy fats in it.
Keto diet is safe in every age. However, some parents don’t want their child to starve for carbs. So in this case, parents should reduce only simple carbohydrates ( found in candies, carbonated drinks, and other junk foods).
And increases intake of complex carbs( found in veggies and whole grains) or you can try a low carb vegetarian diet.
In a study, it is seen that excessive intake of simple carbohydrates caused increased rates of misbehavior in children.
- Is the keto diet safe for old people: – The main problem with our old people is that. The majority of old people are suffering from diabetes, osteoporosis, cholesterol, and other heart-related disorders.
In research, it is found that there is some connection between a high carb diet and above all diseases.
Low carb vegetarian diet or low carb non-vegetarian diet not only shred some amount of extra fat but also reduce the risk of the above diseases.
Also, calories restriction diet like keto diet or intermittent fasting influences longevity by reducing oxidative stress.
- Is the keto diet safe for pregnant women s:- For pregnant women keto diet is unsafe.
In research, it is found that keto diet causes mice mother many problems like a small heart, enlarged spine, a small brain and slower growth of a baby.
Also, it is found that mothers on the Ketogenic diet experienced alterations in embryonic growth organs.
Even experts like Thomas Ruiz (M.D., OB-GYN, Lead of Obstetrics at Memorial Care Orange Coast Medical Center in Fountain Valley, California) also says that the Ketogenic diet is not safe for pregnant women.
Glucose is the primary source of the growing fetus and lacking glucose may cause some serious problems.
So far we successfully learned Ketogenic side effects and pros of Ketogenic diet now it’s time to reveal the difference between simple and complex carbs.
(Source: – Pinterest)
Nutritionist divide carbohydrates into 2 types. One is Simple carbs and the second is complex carbs.
The real question is what types of carbohydrates you should eat in a keto diet.
Dietary fibers are part of complex carbs that make you fuller for a longer time and improves digestion also.
Always remember fibers are the most important part of our food.
Without fibers, no bowling movements in your gut will possible.
Since fibers are a form of complex carbs. You should eat the prescribed amount of fibers in their low carb recipes to make their gut healthy.
So far we learn Is the keto diet safe for you now it’s time to come to our main segment that is what to eat on the keto diet: –
I divided this segment into two parts for a low carb vegetarian diet and a low carb Non-vegetarian diet.
Also, I mentioned all the list of food that you are supposed to be eat-in keto diet and some not to eat food list in the keto diet.
What to eat on the keto diet for non-vegetarian people
Best food recommendations for the keto diet
For protein: – Protein is a necessary weapon in the keto diet. It is very necessary to take the appropriate amount of protein in a day to prevent muscle mass in a keto diet.
But always remember choosing the right protein with low carb and high bioavailability is the most important thing you should do.
I preferred ON (Optimum Nutrition) protein because it is low in carbs and high in bioavailability.
Readymade snacks: – Choosing the right snacks which are lower in carb and high in fibers is the most important thing you should do.
I preferred snacks that are easily available, lower in carb and high in protein so I can easily preserve my muscle mass in the keto diet phase.
My personal opinion for you to go for Primal Thin 20g Protein Bar if you are US citizen and Yoga bar 20-gram Protein Bar if you are an Indian citizen. These bars can easily affordable and available to you and can be the best readymade snack for you.
Low carb cookies: – Why ignore delicious cookies in the keto diet? Choosing the right cookie which is lower in the carb, high in protein is another important task you should do.
My personal opinion for you to choose low carb cookies which are lower in carbs, high in protein and also easily available to you. So here it is.
- Source of high protein – For our non-vegetarian family.
You must keep in mind that you have to supposed to take only lean protein.
which means your protein source should contain only protein as a macro and doesn’t contains any other macros.
For gym-goers, the high protein keto diet is very important while for a normal individual or a least active person high protein keto diet is not much important.
Some sources of lean protein are egg whites, Chicken breast, Lean beef, ETC.
- Source of complex carbs: – In keto diet, you have to take a very small amount of carbs which is approximately about 5% of daily calorie content.
And you don’t want to waste that 5% of your daily calories content on simple types of carbohydrates. It is very important to take fibers as a part of complex carbs in the keto diet for better digestion.
High protein sources are Broccoli, Artichoke, Cucumber, etc.
- Simple low carb food list that you should avoid: – Simple carbs or sugar are also called hollow calories foods.
That means it contains only calories and no other nutrients.
Some sources of simple low carb foods lists are – candy, table sugar, syrups, soft drinks, fruits, milk, and some other milk products.
- Source of healthy fats: – The best thing in the keto diet is you can enjoy your fried chicken piece but you have to consume only healthy fats in it. Some sources of healthy fat are – Avocados oil, olive oils, fish dairy, bacon fat, coconut oil, and butter.
What to eat on a keto diet for vegetarian people
- Source of high protein – Unfortunately there is no lean protein source for vegetarians. However, you can still consume some food source. keto diet with 100% no carb is not possible in a vegetarian diet.
However, you can still follow the keto diet in 10-15% of carb intake.
High protein sources – Whey protein (Isolates recommended), Lean beans, Homemade low-fat Indian paneer or cheese.
In the keto diet, there are very limited choices for our vegetarian family and unfortunately, you have to manage it at any cost.
But always remember choosing the right protein with low carb and high bioavailability is the most important thing you should do.
I preferred ON (Optimum Nutrition) protein for vegetarians because it is 100% veg, low in carbs and high in bioavailability.
- Source of complex carbs: – In keto diet, you have to take a very small amount of carbs which is approximately about 5% of your calorie content.
And you don’t want to waste that 5% of your calorie content on simple carbohydrates.
It is very important to take fibers as a part of complex carbs in the keto diet for better digestion.
However, in the vegetarian keto diet, you don’t need to eat carbs because already your carbs intake is high.
Some sources of low carb foods:– Broccoli, Artichoke, Cucumber, etc.
- Simple low carb food list that you should avoid: – Simple carbs or sugar are also called hollow calories food.
Some source of simple low carb food: – candy, table sugar, syrups, soft drinks, fruits, milk, and some other milk products.
- Source of healthy fats: – The best thing in the keto diet is that you can enjoy your fried veggies pieces, but you have to consume only healthy fats in it. Some sources of healthy fats are – Avocados oil, olive oils, coconut oil, and butter.
Some FAQ’s related to what to eat on the keto diet: –
- Which fruits should I eat in a keto diet?
Fruits contain various vitamins and minerals. However, it’s also true that it contains free sugar that you don’t want to eat. Although here are some fruits which contain no or less sugar:
But always remember you have to consume these fruits in a limited amount only.
- Can I try intermittent fasting in a Ketogenic diet?
Well, it’s a good question.
After touching plateau in the ketogenic diet you can also try intermittent fasting.
The combination of intermittent fasting and keto diet will surely give you extra benefits.
- What are some best vegetables to eat on the keto diet?
Vegetables contain many nutrients including antioxidants, many vitamins and minerals and a lot of fibers in it.
Also, vegetables contain a lot of carbohydrates in it.
That’s why it is important to consume the best vegetable in a limited amount.
Always choose Quality over quantity. Here are some vegetables you can try:
- Green beans
- All Green veggies
A keto diet or Ketogenic diet is an awesome way to lose a good amount of fat.
drasticHowever, you have to pay attention to all rules and regulations when practicing this diet.
After doing researching every information available until now. And now we can say that the Keto diet is completely safe!
Now you are ready to rock!!
All the best for your weight loss journey…